Monday 14 January 2013

A little piece of heaven

After the hectic birthday weekend and tonight's pamper party
 (which went down really well with the girls)
Sipping a cocktail while waiting for a manicure
I'm going away for my own pamper party, with my best friend and it will be our own bit of heaven. We're off to this spa and I've been looking forward to it for 364 days!
We've been friends for around 25 years ago from when when we both worked in a care home, we both found ourselves there more by accident than design, she was a nurse but had a 2 year old daughter and a husband who worked shifts and I had trained as a beauty therapist for 2 years at college but strangely an unqualified auxillary in a care home earned more and my boyfriend (now husband) and I wanted to save to buy our first house. We hit it off from day one and I babysat for her daughter regularly. We talked about one day going away to a spa but the cost was far out of reach for both of us, time moved on and I got married, she made my wedding dress and accompanied me up the aisle as maid of honour, her daughter then 6, was my bridesmaid.

There was a very funny moment at her house when I had a dress fitting and only the front of my wedding dress was in place - knickers on show at the back - her daughter whispered to me " don't worry I'll stand very close to you walking into church so no one else sees your knickers!"

Anyway that daughter is now 28 and I have 3 of my own but we eventually made it to the spa in the end, and what a place it is. We book it year on year, for the same few days (there's an offer on in January) and I am so excited, not least to be spending some chatty time with my friend.

Our lives are still very different, she has re-married and lives a very grown up kind of life - I'm chasing kids and am constantly in a muddle! She is tall, very slim and very well dressed - I am none of the above! I touched on my dress sense here, it's not good! On one occasion my friend suggested a shopping trip and then proceeded to shove me in a changing room and ask the assistant to keep me in there until I came out looking more presentable!

She has also been known to raid my wardrobe and throw away some of my well loved (well worn) clothes - I felt they still had a few good years in them despite the holes/fading/colour running - and of course they no longer really fitted me, but by and large they still looked good on - in my opinion!

But when we get together the chatter will flow, usually non-stop!
This is a card she sent me just before we went one year an it pretty much sums us up!



So I will return home on Friday, some of the frown lines replaced with a couple of extra laughter ones and with nails and face a-gleaming. It will all be worn off by Sunday but by then I'll be looking forward to January 2014....

 PS I have packed wine in my overnight bag - I'm not ready to detox just yet!!

16 comments:

  1. OOoooo I'm so very envious!!! How lucky you are to go to a spa!! I've been to get a pedicure and manicure but I've never had a proper spa treatment! And the Knickers comment... too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I save up all year for it Tammy and it really is heaven, I'm so excited even to snow's not going to stop me!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your Spa trip! I had my first massage last year and I am longing for another one!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a spa treatment! Oh and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful thing to do!!! Enjoy every moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so happy and excited for you. Lucky duck! What a fabulous thing to do , which of course you deserve :-) Can't wait to hear all about it! Enjoy enjoy enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulous; I hope you have a super time!
    BTW, I sent a good friend of mine that second card a few years ago too - it's such a true statement (if only we had the time to actually do it.)
    Love the knickers comment - did you take her up on the offer, or did you decide to have a back put on the dress?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decided to get the back of the dress finished, my backside is certainly best kept hidden!

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a fabulous friendship. Do enjoy your time at the spa "catching up"!

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh have a fab time Jay ... I'm going on a spa weekend in May with 6 friends, I've never been to one before, but am really looking forward to it now!

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a wonderful time on your Spa trip and come back looking like the last photo all relaxed, what a treat.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh that spa must be pure heaven! I've never been to something like that, but it really is something one should treat oneself to from time to time. Enjoy it to the fullest, Jay, as I'm sure you will!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just caught up with your last couple of posts.
    Belated happy birthday wishes to Little Miss, bless her for thinking you had forgotten! Like you say double figures now, very important that!
    Love the photo of her lounging with her cocktail.
    I hope you and your friend have had a really amazing time away together and that you feel suitable relaxed and pampered.
    No snow here, just sleet.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, we're waiting for round 2 of the snow now!

      Delete
  12. Isn't it wonderful having friends like that? You have been through all sorts of things together, work, kids and weddings and dress fittings with your knickers showing. That's the best of life, it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just read all about it. Friends like these are worth their weight in gold X

    ReplyDelete