Sunday 30 March 2014

New York, New York

Firstly can I say Happy Mother's Day to all those who celebrate today and also apologise for the previous post, it was badly written, haphazard, too long and generally a bit rubbish!
I think I had so wanted to write about our Sri Lanka tour but as time went on I put myself under a bit of pressure and rushed it when I should have thought it through first. Sorry, it won't happen again (of course it will, you know that don't you?)
 
Anyway as you may recall Number 1 son didn't join us on the tour as he had a Politics A level trip to New York and Washington with his college, which clashed with our dates.
So he flew out of Heathrow the day before us, for a 5 day visit; this then meant he'd be home alone for 5 days before we returned.
 
We were able to keep in touch by email mainly as when wi-fi was available it was free, texting was going to cost us both! He was pretty good about letting us know where he was, although most messages were short and sweet; lots of "it's freezing here what's your weather like??"
So if you were sitting in your shorts and applying and re-applying sun block due to the extreme heat what would you reply? Number 1 son suffers a lot in the cold, he actually goes a nasty shade of blue and his fingers start to seize up, he loves hot weather.
Was it cruel to send this in reply?

He said Central Park was under 3 feet of snow and they'd been on a walking tour of Wall Street in an enormous blizzard; I asked him to send me photos and in return I got this

 
 
You immediately recognised New York didn't you?
 
When I asked for another he sent one of him and a mate on the subway/underground - a lovely view of, oh yes the inside of a train! Teenage boys?? What can you do with them?!

A short and sweet post to make up for the last one, I'll be back shortly to tell you what the little darlings got me for Mother's Day, I must dash now as the icing (made with milk???), which is all over the kitchen floor is starting to set!!
Have a good week!
xx

21 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your posts!
    Hope your son managed a few shots of the more iconic images of the places he visited.
    Enjoy the rest of Mothers day.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why didn't my son get to go on a politics trip like this: it would have been perfect. Can he send his notes this way please? ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure any notes were actually made Trish! And thank you for the inclusion in the Britmums Travel Roundup, that's very exciting!

      Delete
  3. Awww, it may have been cold but I bet it was a memorable trip, one he won't forget in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, I'm laughing out loud. But also wondering about the icing on the kitchen floor. Is it wise? Love your sunny photo and his food photo. Poor thing, I hope he has warmed up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A surprise iced cake for Mother's Day, I assume the iced floor was accidental!

      Delete
  5. Happy Mothers Day!!! Your trip to Sri Lanka looked and sounded absolutely wonderful, and I laughed when I saw the photo from New York - of course it would be food from a teenage boy (could have been worse Jay!! :-)) Isn't he lucky though?! Is College High School (ages 12-18) or University over there? Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel
      School in the UK is quite odd as there are various systems in place in different areas (our neighbouring village has a different system!) For Number 1 son high school was 11-16 then he decided to stay in education for 2 more years to do A levels - as his school didn't have facility to do this he joined another school who had a "sixth form" college - he could have gone to a vocational college or out to work. After sixth form finishes in June/July he will hopefully go to university after Summer break.
      However the law has now changed and all children from Number 2 son down have to stay in education til 18 - either college, apprenticeship or sixth form, this will often involve a move as not all school can provide this.
      It's complicated....!!

      Delete
  6. I don't seem to be getting your posts, now I'm going back to look at all the ones i have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't imagine how the icing ended up (almost set) on your kitchen floor Jay. The mind boggles! Glad you had a lovely Mothering Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the secret baking of a Mother's Day cake, the kitchen was off limits to me until the end!

      Delete
  8. Love all your posts whatever the length. My kids and I do that to each other. I always send them photos of burgers and junk food as I know it will burn them. They send me random fuzzy photos of stuff I can't make out!. But yes! I sent loads of ski photos. Paying them back for those long labours they put me through!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all sounds wonderful, I have to admit. Your poor son under all that snow while you were in the sun! You've been busy traveling a lot lately - your son's photos are funny, food is always the priority for teenagers! I hope you had a lovely mother's day. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great picture of New York! Boys what can you do with them! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jay, how strange, I was on here earlier (via country rabbit) and wanted to comment but my friend turned up....we had a pub lunch date, say no more! I do pop in but don't always comment, will try harder in harder! This made me smile....they really have no idea do they! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, that sings New York !

    Your posts are never too long because I love the way you write them xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the photos one could send from NY and he sends the food - I love that. My mum always complains I take too many photos of food.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would struggle with a family full of cricketers too... but oh my, Sri Lanka, that's what I call perks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that they made you a surprise secret cake, but you were still needed to get the frosting off the floor. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course he had to send you pics of food - I bet that was the most interesting bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had a happy Mother's Day, Jay! I bet your son wishes he was in sunny Sri Lanka and is consoling himself with food, that's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete